Peppermint Essential Oil (India)
Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint Essential Oil (Mentha piperita) from India is Eco-Cultivated Therapeutic Quality Essential Oil steam distilled from the herbs.
Peppermint is a hybrid cross between water mint and spearmint. There are a large number of mints that are grown in people’s gardens, but Mentha x piperita is the classic peppermint that has the strong, minty smell and taste. It’s the peppermint that you most often find in dinner mints and in peppermint Altoids.
Although it was originally a cultivated hybrid of M. spicata and M. aquatica, it grows on its own all over the place. The USA is the largest producer of peppermint essential oil, but Eastern Europe, Italy and Morocco are also producers.
The name of the species, Mentha, comes from Greek mythology. Minthe was a nymph who made advances towards Persephone’s husband, Pluto. So, Persephone turned her into “a sweet smelling herb to be trampled underfoot.”
Peppermint has been in use for a long, long time. It is mentioned in the Ebers Papyrus from Egypt, which dates to about 1500 BC, and there are even older references on temple walls to its use as one of the ingredients of Kyphi, sacred incense blended from several herbs. The Egyptians cultivated peppermint, as did the ancient inhabitants of China and Japan, and it’s been used in European medicine and folk medicine for a long time. Peppermint has also been considered a visionary herb in the West and was believed to stimulate prophetic dreams and visions.
The leaves and flowers are picked just before maturity. 600 lbs. of fresh plant will yield about 2 pounds of essential oil from steam distillation.
The essential oil is clear to pale yellow or pale olive green, and it has a strong, fresh minty aroma. If it’s not properly stored, it will darken and become thick and eventually turn into resin. Aromatically, it is difficult to blend and can overpower other aromas.
Botanical name: Mentha piperita
Method of Extraction: Steam Distillation
Blends Well With: Benzoin, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Marjoram, Lemon and Rosemary
Shelf Life: 4 years
Dilution: 5% topical max (not for use with children under the age of 6)
CAUTION: Using more than topical max can cause irritation or sensitization. Avoid using if you have a G6PD deficiency. Use with caution if you have cholestasis (may cause milk supply to decrease if used liberally) or GERD. Not for use with children under 6 years of age due to the possibility of slowed respiration.
General Safety Considerations:
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.