Myrrh Essential Oil (France)
Myrrh Essential Oil
Our Myrrh Essential Oil (Commiphora myrrha) comes from Somalia and is Wildcrafted Therapeutic Quality Myrrh Essential Oil. Our Somali Myrrh Essential Oil is quite exquisite.
Did you know that both Frankincense and Myrrh essential oils get better with age? Same goes for most other essential oils distilled from resins. Of course to insure this long life, store out of sunlight in a cool dark place.
The myrrh tree grows up to 30 feet tall, with sturdy, knotted branches, trifoliate aromatic leaves, and small white flowers. When the branches are wounded, gum myrrh exudes as a pale yellow liquid which becomes reddish-brown as it dries and hardens. The native collectors make incisions in the bark of the tree to increase the yield. The gum myrrh is steam distilled to produce Myrrh Essential Oil which is a yellow to amber, thick, viscous liquid with a warm, balsamic, medicinal, spicy odor. The tree grows in dry conditions such as north-east Africa and southern Arabia as well as the valley between the Tigris and Euphrates, considered the cradle of civilization. Myrrh gum has been used since ancient times for medicinal and ritualistic purposes.
The ancient Egyptians used to burn myrrh at Heliopolis as part of their sun-worshipping rituals. They used it for the embalming of corpses because of its ability to preserve the flesh. This preservative virtue made myrrh a valued part of the Egyptian women’s cosmetic array to remove wrinkles and preserve a youthful appearance. According to ancient Greek legend, myrrh was believed to have come from the the tears of Myrrha the daughter of Cinyrus, King of Cyprus who was turned into a shrub. The ancient Greeks used myrrh for battle wounds to promote healing and reduce inflammation. Myrrh was one of the gifts of the Magi given to the newly born Jesus possibly predicting his early death.
Botanical name: Commiphora myrrha
Method of Extraction: Steam Distillation
Blends Well With: Frankincense, Sandalwood, Benzoin, Oakmoss, Cypress, Juniper, Mandarin, Geranium, Patchouli, Thyme, Mints, Lavender, Pine And Spices
Shelf Life: 7 years
General Safety Considerations:
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.
We Also Recommend
Lava Rock Beads Essential Oil Bracelet - 2 Pack - BOGO Special
10 ML Stainless Steel Ball Amber Roller Bottles Special (9-Pack)
Dryer Balls - Premium 100% New Zealand Wool Dryer Ball 3-Pack, Natural White, Organic Fabric Softener, Reusable