Lemon Essential Oil (Italy)
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon Essential Oil (Citrus limonum) from Italy is Eco-Cultivated Therapeutic Quality Essential Oil produced by cold expression of the peel of the lemon.
Lemons grow on a small evergreen tree growing nine to 19 feet high with pale green leaves and highly perfumed white and pink flowers. A Lemon tree can produced up to 1,500 lemons each year.
As with all citrus trees, the lemon tree originated in Asia making it’s way to Greece in the second century AD. It now grows throughout the Mediterranean with Florida and California being the major producers. The peel was used in the Roman empire to fragrance clothing and repel insects. In the late 17th century a pharmacist named Nicholas Lemery recognized the medicinal value of the fruit. The British Navy began using large quantities of lemons to counteract scurvy on sea voyages.
Lemon Essential Oil is produced by cold expression of the peel of the lemon and it's one of the lightest fragrances used in aromatherapy, an example of a “top note”. Lemon Essential Oil can be a potential phototoxin and one should avoid outdoor activities if this oil has been applied to the skin. If you are going to apply Lemon essential oil we recommend diluting well before applying topically, due to its phototoxicity. Lemon should be diluted to 2% if used topically before going out in the sun.
Botanical name: Citrus limonum
Method of Extraction: Cold Expression
Blends Well With: Lavender, Neroli, Ylang Ylang, Rose, Sandalwood, Olibanum, Chamomile, Benzoin, Fennel, Geranium, Eucalyptus, Juniper, Oakmoss, Lavandin, Elemi, and Labdanum
Shelf Life: 2 years
Dilution: topical max 2%
CAUTION: Using more than topical max can cause phototoxic reactions such as redness, irritation, pigmentation changes, edema, or blistering with exposure to the sun.
General Safety Considerations:
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.
We Also Recommend
Lava Rock Beads Essential Oil Bracelet - 2 Pack - BOGO Special
10 ML Stainless Steel Ball Amber Roller Bottles Special (9-Pack)
Dryer Balls - Premium 100% New Zealand Wool Dryer Ball 3-Pack, Natural White, Organic Fabric Softener, Reusable