Cypress Essential Oil (Crete)
Cypress Essential Oil
Cypress Essential Oil (Cupressus sempervirens) from Crete is Wildcrafted Therapeutic Quality Essential Oil steam distilled from the leaves and twigs.
Cypress is an adaptable, long-lived evergreen native to the Eastern Mediterranean. Now widely naturalized over European, Eastern European, and North African regions, it is also grown commercially in New Zealand and Australia both as an attractive ornamental and for its scented, durable wood.
Our Therapeutic Quality Cypress Essential Oil is Wildcrafted in beautiful Crete, steam distilled from the tree’s fresh or dried twigs and needles. This pale yellow to olive oil has a sweet, woody, smoky aroma with strong mid to base notes. The fragrance of cypress oil blends well with cardamom, cedarwood, clary sage, lavender, orange, pine, rosemary, and sandalwood essential oils.
To the ancient Greeks and Romans, Cypress had many associations with both immortality and death. In Latin, its genus name sempervirens means “ever living”. Sacred to Pluto, god of the underworld, it was an important part of their funerary customs, whether by placing a bough by the deceased’s house or planting a Cypress tree by the grave. The ancient Egyptians also considered it sacred and used it for incense and as a medicine, and for Muslims, Cypress is the principle cemetery tree.
This tree’s associations with long life go beyond folklore: Some specimens alive today may have first sprouted over 1000 years ago!
Botanical name: Cupressus sempervirens
Method of Extraction: Steam Distillation
Source: Needles and Twigs
Blends Well With: Cedarwood, Pine, Lavender, Orange, Cardamom, Clary Sage, Sandalwood, Rosemary
Shelf Life: 2 years
CAUTION: Cypress Essential Oil is non-toxic, non-irritant, and non-sensitizing. As it has structural similarities to estrogen, its use should be avoided if there is a history or presence of estrogen-dependent cancers. Due to its drying effects, do not use with scanty periods.
General Safety Considerations:
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.