Citronella Essential Oil
Citronella Essential Oil (Cymbopogon winterianus) from Indonesia is Therapeutic Quality Essential Oil steam distilled from the leaves.
Citronella is a grass that mainly grows in some Asian countries and some islands of the South Pacific. It has a rich, crisp lemony aroma. Citronella Essential Oil is extracted from two varieties of citronella. The first one is the Ceylon variety, whose scientific name is Cymbopogon nardus and the second one is Java variety, called Cymbopogon winterianus. In both cases, the essential oil is extracted by steam distillation of the fresh plant.
Citronella (Cymbopogon winterianus) is the one most commonly used. This Citronella Essential Oil contains citronellal, geraniol, geranyl acetate and limonene as its chief constituents. The main producers of this essential oil are China and Indonesia. Citronella oil is also produced by certain other Asian, South & Latin American and African countries in smaller amounts.
Botanical Name: Cymbopogon winterianus
Method Of Extraction: Distilled
Blends Well With: Bergamot, Geranium, Lemon, Orange, Lavender and Pine
Shelf Life: 2 years
Dilution: 18% topical max
CAUTION: Although this essential oil is quite common and used in many, many products, it can be extremely irritating to skin and lungs. MUST be diluted more than other essential oil. NOT recommended for topical use.
General Safety Considerations:
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.