Basil Essential Oil (United States)
Basil Essential Oil
Basil Essential Oil (Ocimum basilicum) from the USA is Eco-Cultivated Therapeutic Quality Essential Oil.
Ocimum basilicum, also known as sweet basil, common basil, European basil, and French basil, is a common culinary annual herb native to India, Africa, and Asia. It is grown for eco-production primarily in France, Hungary, Moroccco, Spain, the US, and Madagascar, though some is now grown and distilled in Australia. Basil Essential Oil is steam distilled from its tender leaves and flowers.
Basil Essential Oil has a spicy aroma that is fresh and light with tones of licorice, blending well with bergamot, clary sage, lime, and geranium.
The ancient Egyptians made wreaths of basil for the burial chambers in their pyramids, while modern Egyptians scatter basil leaves over their graves.
Greece also has a long history with basil. It is thought to have been introduced by Alexander the Great, and its species name basilicum is from the Greek word for king. In fact, infused oil of basil was used in the anointing ceremonies of kings. Greeks have an old Christmas custom of wrapping a cross with a sprig of basil and suspending it above a bowl filled with water in order to ward off tormenting sprites they call the kallintkazari. And, of course, we cannot forget the name of the founder of the Greek Orthodox Church: St. Basil.
CAUTION: Because Basil can quickly become overstimulating, Basil Essential Oil should be used only in small amounts. Women who are pregnant or experiencing heavy menstrual bleeding should avoid its use.
Botanical name: Ocimum basilicum
Origin: India, Africa, and Asia
Method of Extraction: Steam Distillation
Source: Leaves and Flowers
Note: Middle or top
Blends Well With: Bergamot, Clary Sage, Lime and Geranium
Shelf Life: 4 years
Dilution: 3.3% topical max
General Safety Considerations:
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.